Friday, February 21, 2014

Searching Me

Google Images found my profile picture on Learning House. It also searched LinkedIn and found my profile there. It of course found my blog since it is hosted on Google. It found my YouTube channel. A couple pages into the results, it found a list of honor roll students from my high school that had my name on it. On the same page, it found a Media Relations post from WWU about First Impressions.


I'm surprised it found my Learning House profile. I figured that would have been private and hidden with a robots.txt file because it's a learning site, not a social networking site, there's no reason for it to be searched by a web crawler. The other things didn't surprise me. I understand how web crawlers work, I took a Udacity course where we were building a web crawler/search engine (a simple one to be sure) in Python; I expected Google to know those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment